How to Take Care of Yourself as an Entrepreneur
Even though you may not realize it, the daily life of an entrepreneur, can be extremely hectic and full of challenges. Therefore, self-care is of the utmost importance. This self-care needs to be implemented every day to make sure that you are in peak condition, so that you start every day in the best way possible in order to take care of your business. It took me a while to understand that I was The business — without me, many things did not happen, and if the business was to grow, and if the people who depended on me could feel safe, I had no choice but to take care of myself in the best way possible.
- Get Restful Sleep — In her book, ‘Sleeping Your Way to the Top: How to Get the Sleep You Need to Succeed’, Terry Cralle debunks the myth that is promoted by many people, which is, the less sleep you get, the more productive you are. Many studies now show that if you are not getting enough restful sleep some of the negative side effects can include — slower decision capabilities, irritability, lack of patience, a weakened immune system, and even an increase in the risk of obesity. Each person needs a different amount of sleep, but we all instinctively know how much sleep we need, when we listen to our inner intelligence. The most important thing is that you get quality sleep.
- Exercise — Just like restful sleep, regular exercise is essential in order to function to the best of your capacity. Exercise also helps with dissipating anger, shifting depression, releasing frustration, and any other negative emotion you may be carrying inside you. There is no denying it — exercise helps you to live a much higher quality of life. Even thirty minutes a day can make all the difference!
- Vacation — I remember a time when I chose where I went on vacation based on the quality of the Wi-Fi that they had! I somehow felt that if I was not connected everything would fall to pieces. Entrepreneurs often make the mistake of working seven days a week without taking the necessary breaks. Fortunately, I quickly learned that this did not make me more productive, but rather made me tired and less productive. The ideas that came to me when I was really off were far more valuable than those that I thought up when I was constantly pushing myself. As an entrepreneur, you really need to take one day off completely each week. That means zero technology — I really mean it. No devices are allowed on this day off! This day needs to be used to recharge yourself, so you need to do things that energize you. Spend time with the people you love and care for, get out into nature, read, but whatever you do — don’t waste it watching mindless television.
- The Power of Meditation — Some people have made mediation complex and something hard to achieve. Yet, just simply being quiet and listening to your thoughts, is meditation. Learning to relax through meditation is extremely beneficial to your well-being and will do wonders for your business! Check out InsightTimer to get started — this is a great meditation app used by entrepreneurs all over the world.
- Give Back to Your Community — There is no point, in my opinion, in being a very successful entrepreneur, if you do not give anything back to your community. Find a cause that you are drawn to and volunteer your time or resources. There is nothing like the power of giving back.
- Ditch The Moaners — I have said it many times, and I will say it again, as an entrepreneur, it is vital that you surround yourself with positive people. Negative people or chronic complainers will suck the life out of you and will completely dampen your enthusiasm.
- Read, Read and Read Some More — Reading to learn new things is one of the most important things you can do to take care of yourself as an entrepreneur. If you don’t have time to read too many physical books, try listening to books narrated by the author while commuting, or subscribe to Podcasts that can help you to grow and learn as a business owner.
- Eat The Right Foods — Have you ever eaten something that made you tired and sleepy? I think we all have. I can tell you that these types of food do nothing to help you as an entrepreneur — digestion that takes a lot of energy is taking vital resources from your business. It is very hard to build a successful business if you are feeling tired and lethargic. Make sure you stock your office with healthy snacks and not junk ones — listen to your body and eat more of the foods that give you energy and make you feel vital.
Running a successful business is not only about working hard, it is also about making sure that you are taking care of yourself so that you have the physical, mental, and emotional resources to sustain the demands that running a business put on an entrepreneur. If you want to have a successful business — you must first have a successful life.
For more information on my immigration, destination & coaching services, please feel free to contact me www.damienofarrell.com
To keep up to date with the latest information and news on Italy, global mobility, Italian immigration, and relocation tips, don’t forget to follow my Facebook business page Damien O’Farrell Mobility Services at this link